Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Terry's Latest Project

Terry loves his retirement and keeps busy by working in his shop, formerly known as the garage. Many of his projects are pieces of furniture that I think we need at the cabin and he indulges me by making them. Last fall while "window shopping on line" he found a guy who had just cut down a huge alligator juniper tree in the Forest Lakes area, about 2 hours north of where we live in Tempe. Terry called him on the phone and within a couple of days we drove up there to take a look at the pieces of lumber. I had previously looked at a lot of furniture and taken pictures of things I wanted him to copy, but when I looked at that beautiful raw wood everything I originally thought I wanted went out the window.

We selected several pieces and I told Terry that I thought I would like to keep the tables with the free form edge of the tree and even leave the bark on it for a rugged look. The wood grain, the knots, everything that came naturally with this wood was beautiful. Terry agreed.

Terry cut, sanded, clamped, glued, drilled, welded, stained, varnished, and invested a huge amount of time and energy. Here is the result of his hard work. I think it blends in perfectly in our cabin setting.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that table is BEAUTIFUL. Terry did a wonderful job. I'm so glad you have a blog now so I can keep up with all his latest projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a craftsman Terry is. It turned out, as always, just fabulous. Does he take requests from good, old friends too?

    ReplyDelete