Monday, May 31, 2010

Hot Cross Buns

Just to put my children's minds at ease, I would like to start off by saying that nowhere in this new post will I publish pictures or reference your father in a thong bikini. However, this is about his buns so to speak.



I have mentioned before that Terry (for some reason unknown to me) has decided to become profecient in the making of bread. Maybe it is because he likes to eat bread. He also likes hot dogs, but not just any dog. He likes them in the casing that gets hard when you cook it and crackles when you bite into it. Recently we happened to be in Phoenix close to a meat market that specializes in dogs and picked up several varieties. But here is the delima, for Terry anyway, he doesn't like any of the bun offerings at the local grocery store. So he decided to make some. He checked the internet until he came across the recipe that he thought would provide what he was looking for and whipped them up.




Then he made me Chicago dogs for lunch. (Information on everything in a Chicago dog bun is also on the internet) They were quite tasty I must admit. The only negative I could see was that he made the buns a little big. (Is there a hidden message there?) Now if I could just go to Chicago some day and try the real thing, I might be able to make a true comparison. I might also need to have Wanda revise my kitchen towel from saying "Mary Kaye's Kitchen" to read "Mary Kaye and Terry's Kitchen" because I have clearly lost control.

3 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I'm quite impressed by Terry's culinary skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has made me hungry! I think I’ll trot down to Der Weinerschnitzel and get a hot dog. Except it won’t be the same. Guess I’ll have to visit Tempe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm. I've got to get the recipe for the buns and try them myself. I can just see you guys setting up the photo display. Hot dog baskets, paper liner...you didn't miss a trick!

    ReplyDelete